Beginnings

The Anchor Society was formed in 1769 when it held a dinner at the Three Tuns, a tavern on the site of the present Corn Exchange in the centre of the medieval quarter of Bristol when 22 members were present. At this dinner the President, Gilbert Davies, took up a collection to benefit the poor and elderly in Bristol. Since then there is anunbroken record of Presidents’ annual appointments and personal collections. In 1769, the first Anchor Society President, Gilbert Davies has raised £12 which is over £2000 today.

info@anchorsociety.co.uk
Registered charity: CIO 1167933

The Anchor Society,
29 Alma Vale Road, Clifton, Bristol BS8 2HL

X